Message of the Vice Chancellor
Welcome to the University of Chittagong (CU), the most beautiful university in Bangladesh. Since its establishment in 1966, the University of Chittagong has grown to become one of the flagship research-led universities which is known for the excellence of its teaching, research, and services to local, national and international communities.
CU is continuously growing in its quality teaching and in-depth research along with its tangible infra-structural developments with commendable architectural designs. As one of the largest and oldest universities in Bangladesh, it comprises ten faculties including the Faculty of Arts and Humanities, Faculty of Science, Faculty of Business Administration, Faculty of Social Sciences, Faculty of Law, Faculty of Biological Sciences, Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Education, Faculty of Marine Sciences and Fisheries and Faculty of Medicine.
CU is different it its campus-design, curricular and extra-curricular activities, ecological settings and natural surroundings with its defining characteristics. At present, CU has more than 27,000 students, 54 departments/institutes, and about 900 well-qualified teaching staffs. CU is one of the leading universities in Bangladesh in terms of quality research conducted by the faculties and post-graduate students. It has increasing number of quality publications published by faculties and post-graduate students in the internationally acclaimed research journals. The students of CU regularly win the top positions at the national level in debate, sports, computer programming, engineering designs and competition for business ideas. It is also the proud home to fine student-athletes, where performers win medals at national and international multi-sport events. For those reasons and many more, students identify CU by choice in ever-increasing numbers for building their personal, professional and academic careers.
I do welcome all to take a virtual tour to explore the beauty and strength of CU in its academic and natural settings.
Dr. Shireen Akhter
Professor, Department of Bangla
University of Chittagong
|Ph.D||Bengali Literature||Jadavpur University||India||1991|
|Master of Arts (MA)||Bangla||University of Chittagong||Bangladesh||1981|
|Bachelor of Arts (BA)||Bangla||University of Chittagong||Bangladesh||1978|
- Guest Teacher, Bangla Department, Kolkata University, India (1999-2001)
- Guest Teacher, Bangla Department, Jadavpur University, India (1998)
- Guest Teacher, English Department, Premier University, Chittagong, Bangladesh (2005-2015)
- Seminar Keynote Speaker, Women Studies Department, Jadavpur University, India (1999, 2009)
- Seminar Keynote Speaker, Visva-Bharati University, India (1999)
- Seminar Keynote Speaker, Rabindra Bharati University, India (2001)
- Seminar Keynote Speaker, University of North Bengal, India (2018)
- Seminar Keynote Speaker, Jalpaiguri book fair, India (2018)
- Keynote Speaker in Bangla Academy, Dhaka, Bangladesh (2018)
- Article Presentation, Amar Ekushey Grantha Mela (1996, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2013, 2018)
- Chair, PhD Course, Bangla Department (2015-2018)
- Chair, M.Phil Course, Bangla Department (2008-2010)
- Member, Thesis Evaluation committee, Jahangirnagar University, Jagannath University & Rajshahi University
- Research Supervisor, M.Phil and PhD Course, number of researcher-5
- Life member, Bangladesh Writers Club
- Bangladesher Tinjan Upoynnashik (1993), Bangla Academy
- Nabazoog o Nazrul (2001), Nazrul institute
- Senobiya, Rabindranath o himeneth (2004), Friends Book Corner, Dhaka
- Chiro Unnota Shir (2010), Nazrul’s Birthday celebration committee in Chittagong
- Shekh Aandu-Skailobala ghosh jayar Upoynnash (2015), Abishkar, Dhaka
- Shwati Nokhotrer Alo (1994), Shadhin Publication, Dhaka
- Matsha Kanna (2013), Abishkar, Dhaka
- Judda Jiban (2017), Khari Mati, Chittagong
- Rohingya (2018), Desh Publication, Dhaka
- Poribrajja (2004), Friends Book Corner, Dhaka
- Chotkar Totka Golpo (2004), Friends Book Corner, Dhaka
- Ekjan Khoka o Tar Renu ( On the life of our father of nation, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman)
- “Kado Nodi Kado: Niyoti Tarito Nayok Muhammad Mustafa”, Chittagong University Studies, Vol-12:1996.
- “Zugobani o Nazrul”, Journal of Arts, Chittagong University, Vol-14:1998.
- “Nazruler Kotha Shahitte Nari”, Chiro Unnota Shir, Centenary Celebration Volume, Nazrul Institute, 2000.
- “Nazruler Upoynnashe Manabatabad”, Nazrul Institute Patrika, Dhaka, 1998.
- “Nazruler Upoynnashe Kabi Dharmo”, Nazrul Institute Patrika, Dhaka, 2001.
- “Chader Amobassha”, Pandulipi, Bangla Department, Chittagong University, Vol-18:2000.
- “Nazruler Upoynnash”, Chira Unnonatashir (Editorial book),
- “Manab Jibane Nadir Bhumika o Saiyad Waliullar Nadi Anitha Upoynnash”, Kathashahittya, Kolkata, India, 2002.
- “Nabajug o Nazrul”, Nazrul Institute Patrika, Dhaka, 2001.
- “Shailabala Ghosh Jayar Upoynnash- Sheik Aandu”, Pashchimbanga Aakademi Patrika, Kolkata, India, 2006.
- “Shailabala Ghosh Jayar Upoynnash- Binita Dee” Ekshathe, Kolkata, India, 2005.
- “Katha Sahittik Mahbubul Alam Chowdhury”, Sharanika, Dhaka, 2017.
- “Bijoyer Ananda: Projanmer Akangkha”, Dainik Purbakon, Chittagong, 2019.
- “Bedanaghana August: Shokke shoktite parinata karar majhei ashbe jatir sharthokata”, Dainik Azadi, Chittagong, 2018
- “Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman: ekti abissharaniya nam”, Dainik Azadi, Chittagong, 2016
- “Narir Aggragati o Narir Khamatayan: Paripekkhit Bangladesh”, Begum Fajilatunnesa sharok grantha, Dhaka University, 2017
- “Loka Shangskriti: Atith, Bortaman, Bhabisshat”, Loka Shangskriti Pottrika, Dhaka, 2010.
- “Sharthak Jiboner Shattik manush Sufi Mijanur Rahaman”, Auto-biography of Sufi Mijanur Rahaman, Dhaka, 2018
- “Shashwata Ekusher Chetona o Aajker Bangladesh”, Dainik Azadi, 2011
- “Jatir Pitar Adarsha o Ajker Projanma Bhabna”, Dainik Azadi, Chittagong, 2015
- “Umrotul Fazal: ekti snigdha dipashikha”, Ekshathe, Kolkata, India, 2018
- “Bangladesher Nari progotir agradoot Begum Sufia Kamal”, Kathashahittya, Kolkata, India, 2008
- “Amader choto golpe ekusher chetona”, Kathashahittya, Mitra o Ghosh, Kolkata, India.
- “Kalpana Datta: Biplabe Baibhobe”, Ekshathe, Kolkata, India.
- “Chattograme Mahila giti Shohela”, Ekshathe, Kolkata, India.
- “Bangla bhasha o shahitte Bangladesher abodan”, Uttorbonga University Journal, India, 2018
- “Bangladesher Katha Shahittya”- Rabindra Bharati University, Kolkata, India.
- Life Member, Bangla Academy, Dhaka
- Life Member, Bangiya Sahitya Parishad, Kolkata, India
- Chief Adviser (2016-present), Foundation of Educational Transparency, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Advisor, Coochbehar Anasristi (Science and cultural newspaper), Cooch behar, West Bengal, India
- Advisor, Joykali Prakashan (the only international publisher in Bengali language in Bangladesh), Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Advisor, Kobita Bangla (A magazine on poetry), Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Advisor, Loka Bangla (A magazine on folklore), Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Advisor, Bangladesh Heritage Research Centre, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Life Member, Hiron Library, Kolkata, India
- Advisor, Shwapno Jatri (A cultural organisation), Cox-bazar, Bangladesh
- Advisor, Mahakal Chinta Shava, Cox-bazar, Bangladesh
- Member, National Rabindra sangeet sommelon parishad, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Member, Pandulipi (A Research Magazine), Bangla Department, University of Chittagong
- Member, Editorial Board, Journal of Arts, University of Chittagong
- Begum Rokeya Padak 2020 in education.
- Ekushe Padak (Research) Chittagong City Corporation-2019.
- Chattogram Ekushe Padak-2010, Nazrul’s Birthday celebration committee, Chittagong.
- Shahittya Puroshkar-2017, Cox-bazar Shahittya Academy
- Desh Best Manuscript Award-2018
- Gold Medal- Acharjo Dinesh Chandra Shen Society, Kolkata
- UNESCO Award-2018
- Shondipana Award-2011, International Cultural Organisation
- Cox-bazar Cultural Society Award-2016
- Ukhia Cultural Society Award-2018
- Felicitations by Bangabandhu Parishad, Chittagong University for the outstanding contribution in Education
- Felicitations by Chattogram Assosiation in 1990
- Felicitations by UTSHO in 2006
- Felicitations by Chittagong Ladies Club in 2017
- Felicitations by CUMUN in 2018
- Felicitations by Bangladesh Scouts, Chattogram in 2017
- Member, National Search Committee for Chief Election Commissioner and members of the Election Commission in 2016
- Member on the committee of Judges for Joyita (Best Woman Award in Bangladesh)
- Keynote speaker in national programmes including the birth anniversaries of Rabindranath Tagore and Nazrul Islam, Ekushey February, Liberation Day, Victory Day organized by the District Administration of Chittagong
Vice-Chancellors of the University Since 1966
The pioneers who sowed the seeds of evolvement
Dr. Shireen Akhter
18th Vice Chancellor
13 June 2019 to present
First female Vice chancellor of the University of Chittagong
Dr. Azizur Rahman Mallick
Founding Vice Chancellor
01 October 1966 to 31 January 1972
Dr. U. N. Siddiqui
2nd Vice Chancellor (Acting)
21 April 1971 to 30 January 1972
Dr. M Innas Ali
3rd Vice Chancellor
01 February1972 to 18 April 1973
Professor Abul Fazal
4th Vice Chancellor
19 April 1973 to 27 November 1975
Professor Abdul Karim
5th Vice Chancellor
28 November 1975 to 18 April 1981
Professor M. A. Aziz Khan
6th Vice Chancellor
19 April 1981 to 18 April 1985
Professor Mohammad Ali
7th Vice Chancellor
19 April 1985 to 22 May 1988
Dr. Alamgir Muhammad Serajuddin
8th Vice Chancellor
23 May 1988 to 29 December 1991
Dr. Rafiqul Islam Chowdhury
9th Vice Chancellor
30 December 1991 to 6 November 1996
Professor Abdul Mannan
10th Vice Chancellor
06 November 1996 to 13 February 2001
Professor Md. Fazle Hossain
11th Vice Chancellor
14 February 2001 to 2 February 2002
Professor A. J. M. Nuruddin Chowdhury
12th Vice Chancellor
2 February 2002 to 2 February 2006
Dr. M. Badiul Alam
13th Vice Chancellor
8 February 2006 to 24 February 2009
Dr. Abu Yousuf
14th Vice Chancellor
25 February 2009 to 28 November 2010
Dr. Md. Alauddin
15th Vice Chancellor (Acting)
09 December 2010 to 14 June 2011
Professor Anwarul Azim Arif
16th Vice Chancellor
15 June 2011 to 14 June 2015
Dr. Iftekhar Uddin Chowdhury
17th Vice Chancellor
15 June 2015 to 12 June 2019
Dr. A.R. Mallik Bhaban
University of Chittagong
Sunday to Thursday - 9AM to 3.30PM
Dr. A.R. Mallik Bhaban
University of Chittagong, Bangladesh